Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 5 - Wednesday, June 23 - Finding I-95 to New York

Day 5 - Wednesday, June 23 - I-95 to New York
After more cereal and fresh berries, Renate and I set out the Big Apple. 
I was assured I could follow country roads (US 15) north from Leesburg to Frederick, Maryland. Then pick up I-70 east to I-95 outside of Baltimore. We saw real farm country. Lots of hay.


Somewhere I missed a turn-off.
So we got to see some extra city. I don't know what or where.
Onward. Wilmington, Delaware, New Jersey Turnpike (lunch!), and the Lincoln Tunnel - where 8 lanes helter-skelter merge into two. Not orderly; a slow ballet, where no one wants a fender-bender so ultimately everyone gives at some point.


Up 8th Avenue (one-way north), to 48th Street (one-way east), then down into the freshly arranged mess of Broadway/7th Ave/47th Street. The Edison is on 47th Street.


Recently ordained: Broadway and 7th Avenues (Times Square) are closed off to traffic between 42 and 47 streets. (Cross traffic still allowed). So lots of traffic turns on 47th.  Actually - not as bad as expected. Cabbies have already learned to avoid it.


I was not really prepared to unload a car and I had shoes and pants and computer stuff and what-not loose in the back seat and trunk!  I was so thrilled (after Lincoln tunnel and city) to be out of car, I couldn't imagine beginning to look for cheaper parking. 
The Edison valet would be $35 per day. Renate and I bit the bullet - to be able to check into a room and relax.






Tiny room, on 14th floor. Our window overlooked an air shaft. And weird swinging doors to bathroom didn't really fasten. TV good. AC worked. Refrigerator. Life was good.  Gym on the top floor. I went there 3 times.


Cab ride to the Tribeca Grill - Steve's choice (this began a happy pattern, since Steve is a big city epicurean  scholar). 



OK, so it's an internet picture.
Taxis had something new for Renate and me: swipe your credit card from the back seat. Add tip if you wish.
Steve and Debbie were already at the Tribeca - owned by Robert di Niro, who supported preservation of the artsy Tribeca area. 
Renate, Sandy, Debbie, Steve
Thanks, Deb, for the photo
Debbie had 1/2 a martini. Ultimately, free.
I had best salmon I can recall, and Renate expressed the same for the scallops.


Mark was late, coming from New Jersey. 
A fun reunion.
Mark drove us back to the Edison (thanks, Mark), while Steve and Debbie took the trains.

No comments:

Post a Comment