Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 36 - Saturday, July 24 - Asheville, Bele Chere

Day 36: Saturday, July 24 – Asheville, Bele Chere

Google map led me to Tunnel Vision (on Tunnel Road) to fix Renate's glasses, which she had stepped on, bending the frames. They did that AND gave new nose-guards on her spare pair. No charge!
Drove to downtown. Passed “Rosetta’s Kitchen”, vegetarian, owned by daughter of Wezel and Denise McClellan - old friends of my parents. Wezel's mother once lived caddy-corner from us in WPB. My parents frequently crashed ''Wezeltown.'' in Old Fort, NC. And I’ve crashed Rosetta’s home in past years with various travelers. See www.rosettaskitchen.com

Ashville is hilly and surrounded by mountains. MANY streets of downtown were blocked off by the 32nd annual “Bele Chere”, Ashville's LARGER version of West Palm Beach’s “Sunfest”. A few hundred venders, plus the street stores. They claim 350,000 revelers in the 3 day event. I admit WPB gets a bigger name music line-up.

I figured that if Renate walked around, I’d leave her at the highest point. When I pulled up to a blockade, a volunteer guarding the street listened to my needs to just drop-off, and said “You sound like nice people. I’ll let you park here.” I later found he’s a volunteer from Tennessee. On 12-hr duty for both days!
We parked in front of and walked into the Grove Arcade – an historic building converted in 2002 to indoor mall/offices/apartments. Truly beautiful and COOL inside. It had non-chain eating and shops. Also office to government anti-disaster planning group. Even had a produce shop! Out of place for any pretty mall I’ve ever seen.
Renate stands near Grove Arcade Produce shop. All indoors with skylights.
Renate and I paid $3 each cover charge to get into Carmel’s. They charged that to keep Bele Chere crowd out of restrooms. We each had mushroom pizza. I for a beer and got a “Pisgah Summer Ale.” The $6 in cover charge was automatically from the bill. We received bracelets to re-enter all day without charge.
Renate settled in while I ventured off to find Rosetta, who had informed me by phone of her whereabouts – near the City Hall fountain with her 2 little girls - Petra and - , someone else’s daughter, and also her youngest son, Axzel.
Kids play in the fountain by city hall. Rosetta in black sun dress.
Axzel body-painted some eyebrows on himself.

Rosetta phoned her booth at Bele Chere and I went to pick up food. Her booth was nearby.
Above, Rosetta's booth with yellow awning.
Jack, Rosetta's partner. Formerly Gary.
I walked the long blocks back to where Renate waited. She had meanwhile gotten some lip stick, and checked expensive ceramics and Italian bags at the shops of Grove Arcade. No tiles for Peter!
She also met a woman from Charlotte who complained of the heat more than Renate. She encouraged us to try touring the Biltmore Estate, without paying the $60 per person entry fee. Not too far away - we drove to the gate. The woman was wrong. Even restaurants would demand the entry fee. I stole two photos from their website. We DID drive through an unexpected bamboo ''forest''.
On the way out, I snapped photo of a neighborhood church. Unusual nearly-barrel tile roof. Even the nearby McDonald's was in that style!
Church near Biltmore. McDonald's similar style.
Finally, went back to yesterday's hairdresser - Hair Emporium - to convince them to comb Renate's hair back, not forward! They redid all at no charge.
We walked across to J & S cafeteria for dinner and finally back to the Ramada Inn.

No comments:

Post a Comment