Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 42 - Friday, July 30 – Jensen Beach and Home

Day 42 - Friday, July 30 – Jensen Beach and Home

The Fernandina Beach Comfort Inn breakfast includes link sausage which I liked, but Renate didn’t.
Leaving Fernandina we probably saw 2 dozen trucks hauling in logs, obviously used for the paper mills.
The only real city left before us was Jacksonville - which I passed through. Too early to stop.

I stayed on I-95 all the way to exit 118 to go to Jensen Beach. Remembering an awesome birthday dinner there a year ago, I wanted to eat at "Peter's" German restaurant, next door to 11 Maple Street.
It was closed for lunch.

Instead, I found my way to the Dolphin Bar, formerly (long ago) Francis Langford's Outrigger restaurant. 
We missed full lunch. And were too early for 1/2 price specials.  Nevertheless - I had a great burger, and Renate had some of the best chicken wings ever.


We watched the intracoastal outside the wall of windows. I saw 5 fish jumping out of the water. The only thing Renate saw (and caught on camera) was me, oggling some blond dummy:


The final stretch: a short distance to West Palm Beach.
Axel met us to help carry luggage, and I zoomed away to get the car back to Hertz. Its incredible to me that I randomly picked a return date in June, and I stuck to it.

Hertz allowed me to return the car to an office closer to my house  (15 blocks = 3/4 miles). No extra charge. My plan was to unload at home, drive it to the agency, and walk home.
And so I did - until the 3rd downpour of the entire trip interrupted. I just didn't feel like becoming soaked, and I called my tenant, Jason, to please pick me up - 4 blocks away!
I traveled 4400 miles in 42 days, and I couldn't end the last 4 blocks on my own!
Renate would wax poetic about the heavens weeping at our having to conclude our travels.
There'll be other times.






No comments:

Post a Comment